Dealing With Anxiety
Written by: Katrin Mersch
I know the time we are living in right now can be really scary. Especially now during the pandemic we learn that nothing really ever is safe in life and that change is the only constant we can rely on.
We worry about our health, our income, our job, our family and friends, the environment, our rights, politics and so on. It can be overwhelming.
When you wake up every morning with this feeling of hopelessness and anxiety, anger or frustration please know you are not alone. Many people feel the same way. There is pressure on you that comes from outside like the expectations your boss may have, your responsibilities to provide for your family, self doubts and the fear that this downward spiral of negativity will never end.
Check out this quote:
‘For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.” ‘ (Steve Jobs)
And he is definitely not the only one who was asking himself these questions!
Right now it is important to find a daily routine that helps you taking your focus off of your anxious thoughts and brings back positivity and hope into your life. Because: no purpose, no structure, no peace.
Here are 10 things you could do to find a new routine:
1. Wake Up Early
2. Make Your Bed
3. Meditate / Pray
4. Take a Cold Shower
5. Go For a Walk
6. Brain Dump at Desk (bitching and moaning on paper for 5 minutes each day)
8. Morning Three
9. MITs (most important tasks that need to get done)
10. Deep Work (90 Minutes of Deep Work on #1 MIT prior to email or social media)
Morning Three means (no 8):
1. Affirmation : By stating three affirmations in the morning you are able to put yourself into a charged state. It is beneficial to your mental state.
2. What do I get to enjoy today : By starting the day thinking about what you get to enjoy today, you put your mind into a positive mode and trigger your brain to see the upside of the day.
3. Daily Intention : to start out each day with intention. Whether it’s as simple as “I will be present today” or “I will choose to see the beauty in everything that happens to me today.” It doesn’t really matter, but it is extremely helpful for lowering your daily anxiety to be intentional about what you want your day’s purpose to be.
Try to incorporate the above things into your life and you will feel better soon.
Take good care. I mean it.